Re: Battery Disconnect (for a Dork)

To: Dave.Vrba@am.sony.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery Disconnect (for a Dork)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:47:40 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/01 3:10:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Dave.Vrba@am.sony.com writes:

> On a negative ground auto, why should the battery disconnect be installed on

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Let me give it a shot.  (I don't want to risk giving a wrong answer twice in
the same month!)

The entire car is isolated from the ground by the rubber tires.  All of the
electrical bits must therefore be grounded back to the negative terminal of
the battery so they will operate.  If you disconnect the POS side, and then
drop anything metal on the POS terminal, and then allow it to touch almost
anything metal in the car, you will cause a short to Ground.  If you
disconnect the NEG side, you are removing the ground path back to the
battery, so everything is safe from shorting.

(I think)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget