Re: Restoring Vs Value (LONG)

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Restoring Vs Value (LONG)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:53:32 -0700 (PDT)
--- Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net> wrote:
> bucks cuz it is no longer original. It is "restored"
> Any opinions or alternate observations you would be
> willing to share???
>  Brad (I am fixing it for ME!! not to sell it
> anyway!!) Fornal

Brad,
You didn't ask for an answer, only observations.  So
here are some of mine.

It's the George Washington axe syndrome - is it his
axe when they replace the handle, and then a few years
later add a new axe head?  It's in a museum,
nonetheless.  Personally, I am very fuzzy on the
"restored" vs. rebuilt thing. Are the Big Healeys I
see at the shows "restored" when they are 10 times
better than when they left the factory?  The only car
I ever personally knew of that was clearly restored
was a 1955-ish MB 300SL convertible.  A friend of mine
sold a business for many millions and went about the
business of restoring the car when he retired in his
30's.  He flew to Germany, with parts in need of
refurb, tracked down some guys who actually built that
car in 1955, and had them restore to original
condition some of the parts in their workshops.

One of the cars I enjoyed most was my recently sold
BGT.  It was all original.  I'd take it with it's
factory puke Harvest Gold paint that always reminded
me of suede patches on an old wool blazer over the
blinding bright clearcoat jobs I see at the shows.
But I see the advantages to both - my Sprite has a
Weber 45DCOE for instance.  But in my spare time I am
rebuilding a nice old set of H1's I got from PA (you
wouldn't recognize them, Paul), and this winter I am
going to refresh my 948.  The Miata-killer 1275 I have
may well find its way into my Midget instead.

=====
Ron Soave

"It ain't women that kill a ballplayer.  It's stayin' up all night lookin' for
'em that does."
- Casey Stengel
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/