Re: Restoring Vs Value (LONG)

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: Restoring Vs Value (LONG)
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:50:18 -0500
Cc: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Brad Fornal wrote:

> I have been having some private conversations regarding a rare (so I am
> being told) Les Leston steering wheel that I have. I may possibly use
> this thing in my 60 Bugeye, but it is dingy looking. Lots of black
> sticky crap on it and has some small cracks in it.
> I am being told that if I have someone re-stain the walnut finish to it
> and re-clear coat it that I will be ruining the value of it.

> Any opinions or alternate observations you would be willing to share???
>  Brad (I am fixing it for ME!! not to sell it anyway!!) Fornal

     My opinion-Yes, original would be preferable to restored and I
think that's
the consensus.  On the other hand, a restored Bugeye is certainly worth
more than
"an original" Bugeye that has holes in the floor and bends in the
middle.  I'd
guess that the advice you got about your steering wheel was the same.
"Gee, it'd
be a shame to restore it".  Why?  If you are looking for the "Gee Whiz"
factor, I
would restore it and use it.  Then you can always then count on some
moron to
come up to you and say you ruined the value by restoring it.  "Gee
whiz!"

Regarding the professional restoration vs. the home built job-  The
professionals
are supposed to know what the correct parts are and how they're fitted.
That's
not etched in rock either.  The average home restoration can come w/
stop signs
for floors, gallons of Bondo, lamp wire for headlight harness, etc.  You
get the
idea!  Anyway, home restorations are not held in the same high regard as
professional restorations.  If you do the restoration right, no one will
know the
difference, except the morons referred to above.  They, of course, know
everything and are not afraid to tell you.
--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO

Pop. 420