Re: Leaky Brake System

To: chuck <chuckc@attglobal.net>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaky Brake System
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:55:22 -0500
At 10:41 AM 8/29/2001, chuck wrote:
>Recently my 72 Midget developed a very slow leak in
>the brake system. The only place that I can find any
>trace of a leak is at the electrical connection for the
>brake warning light on the proportioning valve. My
>first reaction is to remove the plastic switch that is
>threaded into the valve with some sort of threaded
>plug. What's wrong with this idea? (Oh, BTW, the
>switch stopped working about a year ago.) If it's an
>ok idea, any notion of what thread plug I should be
>looking for?
Chuck,
         First, there should be no fluid getting TO that switch. The switch
is not meant to be a fluid seal. The switch has a pin protruding into a
cutout machined into a sliding piston such that should the piston move too
far one way or another, indicating a brake system failure of some sort, the
light comes on. If there is fluid at the switch then the seals at either or
both ends of the piston have failed. Some can be rebuilt.`
         Possible that the piston seal(s) was bypassing for a while giving
the impression of a "very slow leak"? I do not recommend plugging the hole.
         HTH
         Peter C
too many dead cats, and more on the way......