Rough running Midget

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Rough running Midget
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 23:49:34 -0400
Earlier this week I posted about my rough running 77 Midget.  The
consensus seemed to be start with the electrical system.  This is what I
found.

1.  The plugs were fine.
2.  The gap on the points was < .015 and they seemed pitted.  At least
they were not shinny and new.  I replace and re-gapped the points.
3.  The dizzy cap was shot.  The carbon post on a spring that goes to
the center of the rotor was completely burnt away.  The rotor also had
a big burn on the center where the post used to connect.  I replace
both the cap and rotor.
4.  I could not find any carbon traces anywhere until I started to
remove the spark plug wires.  The number 1 wire had carbon traces only
were the wire went into the cap.  I am using an older cap with the
post that screw into the wires.  Since the wires were a bit long I
trimmed them all back and reused them.  The number 1 wire I replace.

All of these parts were replace about 1K  ago.  It seemed a bit
fast to pit the points.  The wire I am not sure why I had carbon
traces.  The real question is why did the center post in the dizzy
just get burnt away in such a short period of time?  Any ideas.

Anyway when I got done the car ran fine so I have fix my problems for
until the next 1K miles.

--
Later,
 Bill                          mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net