Paint and Chrome

To: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Paint and Chrome
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:12:37 -0400
Listers,

If all goes well this weekend, I'll be bringing home a new (to me)
Spridget - square body 1966.  The owner has apparently given up
on the idea of ever finishing this project.  The owner says that the
front and rear suspensions including brakes have been redone and
the body is in primer and ready for paint.

As some of you may remember, I had an accident in my '66 Sprite
some time ago and have been looking for a home for my strong
1275 complete with Datsun tranny.  This new car will be the car
that I keep.  With a 1275 and a Datsun, it will not be concourse
(spelling).

Some time ago I approached a restoration shop about my '66
Sprite.  The cost of the paint job alone was over $5k - I think this is
a little too much.  Apparently, they take all of the body parts off
and spray individually.  I have no idea what type of paint they were
going to use or how many coats, etc.  I definitely do not want to do
this work myself.

What type of paint should I use?
Should I go with a clearcoat?
What brand of paint?
Should I have the body parts sprayed individually?
Should I have the car undercoated or painted underneath?

Color schemes:  Should I put the original color scheme back on
the car - unknown to me right now.  I like Old English White with a
red interior.

This car is actually a Midget and I have no experience with dealing
with the chrome trim strips.  I know that Uncle Frank will suggest
that I avoid going to Moss.  If that is the recommendation, where do
I go to get these parts?  I do have a local chrome plating shop that
does good work.  So, if any one has this stuff for sale, I would be
interested.  The owner did tell me that he has the most important
piece - the hood (bonnet) strip.  Is this unavailable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D.