Re: Paint and Chrome

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Paint and Chrome
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:37:28 -0400
Cc: "Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D." <pauld@ekpc.com>, "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Frank Clarici wrote:
> > Should I go with a clearcoat?
>
> Not recommended, it peels and fogs out in a few years, look at any 3 or 4 year
> old car.

  I heartily disagree with this.

  Modern clearcoats are very good and very stable.

  You might be confusing clearcoats in general
with a specific group of problems that appeared in
the early 90s, when large auto makers first went
to waterborne or other VOC emission-friendly
paints.

  Many cars of this era peeled badly, we briefly
had a junker of an 89 Topaz that wasn't actually a
bad car but that we got for pocket change because it looked
horrible. Most of the clearcoat on horizontal surfaces
had flaked off, and the exposed basecoat faded and rusted
almost immediately.

  Once the bugs were worked out of the process and formulations,
the techique became reliable.

  Also of importance, the "suspect" paints and techniques
such as waterborne paints were only used in factories for
new cars. Even during those years, a local body repair
shop would not have been using the suspect techniques.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca