Re: Webley/non LBC x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: trev9@earthlink.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Webley/non LBC x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 23:48:02 EDT
In a message dated 9/19/01 9:16:43 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
trev9@earthlink.net writes:

> I gather that the two may be
> similar. The M911 was the standard handgun of the Marine
> Corps right on thru WWII and Korea.  Although many swore
> by it I personally didn't like it
> .
> During my three year tour for a short while I did duty
> as an MP and carried that weapon.  We were instructed not
> to carry it with a round in the chamber as it had been
> known numerous times to discharge unintentionally.
> For that reason I always felt somewhat distrustful of it.

OK...Everbody just remember I DID NOT START THIS...but it is interesting.  I
believe the only similarities with the Colt 1911...manufactured by various
companies during WWII including Remington and Singer ...and the Webly, is
that thay both use a breech loaded metallic cartrige.

Not all Weblys were semi-automatic, and to my knowledge were actually a very
rare design of a self cocking revolver, using the recoil to turn the cylinder
and cock the hammer.

The Colt 1911, is not a revolver, is fed from a magazine in the handle, and
(semi) automatically reloads and cocks itself when the slide (the big square
barrel housing Roy) is driven back by the recoil.

They are similar in the way that Studebaker larks and Mazda RX7s are similar
(both cars).

Also, while it was a point to continuously argue, carrying a 1911 with one in
the chamber "cocked and locked" was the proscribed manner for peace officers
for many years.

I can understand your not liking the military model if you have much of a web
between your thumb and index finger as they tend to bite if not held
carefully when shooting.

Regards,

R. Houston...thinking 40SW Glocks would be more appropriate for the flight
attendents.

74 Midget...Running!  now just the little things, adjust valves, replace air
filters, change oil, fix tach, fix speedo, fix 4-way flasher, etc, etc,
etc.....
63 TR4 up on blocks!
Too many projects, too little time.