gearbox oil

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: gearbox oil
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:11:46 -0400
I've read that using modern 20/50 oil in the gearbox is not the same as
using circa 1967 20/50 oil, because of additives, etc. One site I looked at
recommends using "Castrol EP-80" (SAE 80W); any thoughts about this?

My other question (and remember, I'm new to this, but trying to learn) is:
How do you check the level of the gearbox oil? Haynes says "top up" the
level, but uh, where do you put it in? (told you I was new to this) My
gearbox is getting pretty noisy, so I thought it would be a good idea to
drain and replace to specs.

Thanks to all who gave great advice on my timing problems, also!

--
-Dave
'67 Sprite Rustbucket