Re: gearbox oil

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gearbox oil
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:30:47 EDT
In a message dated 9/26/01 1:05:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Daniel1312@aol.com writes:

<<  I've read that using modern 20/50 oil in the gearbox is not the same as
  using circa 1967 20/50 oil, because of additives, etc. >>

There were several tech service bulletins from BMC/BMH/BL over the years
regarding gearbox lube, but the only ones I have are directed at the MGB.
Early on, B 4 speed gearboxes were lubed with gearlube, and overdrives were
serviced with engine oil (10w40 specified). Lots of shops added gearlube to
od units which may or may not have caused premature failure; at any rate, the
works began specifying engine oil for all gearboxes, and an erata sheet
accompanied all owners manuals and service manuals.
    While I'm a firm believer in synthetics for certain applications, I've
been told more than one lube rep not to run synthetic oil in gearboxes
because the synth is too slick and can cause problems with the friction media
imbedded in the synchros.  My Mustang race car gearbox specifies ATF with a
specific warning not to use synthetic atf, but doesn't give a reason.   The
OD unit in my B has lasted 28 years on 30wt castrol and still shifts as
smoothly as the day it was new. Gearbox oil was changed about every 100,000
miles whether it needed it or not....