Re: gearbox oil

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, david.dycus@blackbox.com
Subject: Re: gearbox oil
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:42:02 -0700
Hi David,

Just because you found this on the internet, does'nt mean it's the
gospel!  I've
gotten over100K on my rebuilds and have sold them out of the car because
the
customer liked the feel and lack of sound so much.  This was all done
with engine
oils for it's life. So much for the 30K life on these boxes as he
states.

Many modern manual gearboxes use automatic transmission oil in them so
his
statement that engine oil, and it's implied lack of gear lubricity,
doesn't hold
much water with me.  Automatic transmission fluid has it's own level of
slipperyness or lack of it as per its classification and specification
by the
manufacturer, admittedly different than engine oil.

Engine oil would still be my choice of lubricant in the Spridget gear
boxes.
There are also a lot of silver and gold seal boxes in Spridgets that are
really
Morris Rib Cases with it's set of bronze bearings instead of needle
bearings, so
I would suggest staying away from all the gear oils available in this
gearbox and stick with engine oil.

Using a magnetic drain plug is also a good move.

Paul A