Re: Grade 5 vs 8--Anyone Broken a Bolt While Running?

To: spritenut@Exit109.com
Subject: Re: Grade 5 vs 8--Anyone Broken a Bolt While Running?
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:52:47 EDT
Cc: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/27/2001 10:05:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
spritenut@exit109.com writes:

> Both suspension applications, both grade 8 bolts.
>
> One on my Sprite, rear Addco sway bar, sheared the mounting bolts and
> snapped
> the sway bar. I hit an average pothole.
>
> A40, Spridget A frames, 3 grade 8s sheared off on the sway bar triangle
> plate.
> But my daughter did hit a curb.
>
> So both were a result of abusive driving. But I have had more than my share
> of
> abusive driving, only the grade 8s snapped off.
>
> I have broken grade 5s too, usually trying to unscrew rusted bolts.

Could be in this case experience is worth more than engineering.  Assuming
the preload was correct this suggests the original engineers knew more than
the metallurgy guys.  As a former and now sometime rock climber, I know that
the metal equipment, like carabiners, figure-8's, etc. never fail if properly
cared for and if retired when it is time.  But when they do fail, they fail
in an instant.  No slow bending like the piece of garbage Stallone film
depicted.  Not sure what this has to do with fasteners, but there must be a
lesson there somewhere about metallurgy.

--David C.