Re: Lets get this straight - Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating prob

To: Spridget Mail List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lets get this straight - Re: "Oil Pressure" & "old" overheating problem
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 08:51:43 -0700
> Also I would love to hear an explanation as to why BL cars went to the
> trouble of designing, tooling and manufacturing a big water pump pulley
for a
> road going production car that had an rpm limit of about 6,000 rpm?
Because
> lets not forget the big water pump pulley was developed for and fitted to
the
> BL MG Metro and some of the other A-series Metro engines and NOT for any
> racing application.

While it may not be the right explanation, and a water temp benefit was
achieved in your personal tests, I though the reason that larger pulleys
were available was to reduce parasitic hp loss at higher rpm by underdriving
the water pump, as no increase in flow is achieved above a designed in rpm,
but hp continues to be absorbed.  Also, bearing life would be prolonged with
the pump spinning at a lower rpm (less revolutions over the life of the
bearing).

I am a firm believer that everybody is far too worried about running these
engines hot.  They will run quite happily at 240 degrees with out breaking a
thing.  You have to have a radiator and head gasket that can handle a 15 lb.
radiator cap, 15-20% antifreeze, water wetter or equivalent, and a coolant
recovery system.  These items combined raise the boiling point of water to
over 260 degrees.  Then just make sure that the coolant level stays topped
off.  Realize, in much more modern application, cars are designed to run at
220-240 degrees, and modern oils can handle more heat than when our cars
were designed as well.  Obviously, a stock bugeye with a 5 lb. cap and no
recovery system would boil over at 220 degrees, and that the stock radiator
would split at the seams with a 15 lb. cap, but we aren't talking stock
here, are we?

David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon