Re: cooling & radiators

To: DLancer7676@cs.com
Subject: Re: cooling & radiators
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 11:20:34 -0700
Cc: macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu, mikeg@vicnet.net.au, spridgets@autox.team.net
DLancer7676@cs.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/30/2001 8:12:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu writes:
>
> > So if you increase the diameter of the water pump pulley won't it turn
> > slower than stock??
>
> I think that is what they were wanting to do, Larry, under the theory that
> the coolant would pick up more heat in the engine, then, traveling slower
> through the radiator, give up more heat.
>
> --David C.

With the very short travel through the radiators these cars have, I suspect that
it was a reasonably effective way to enhance heat exchange.  If these cars had
radiators that were 4 to 6 inches longer in hot water travel, I doubt that there
would be a lot of problems with the so called high temp running.  Short travel
equals less heat drop in degrees of cooling.  Slowing the coolant travel down
allows it to be in this short run a tad longer with a resultant higher drop in
temperature.

Of course, there is a real need to have intake scoops, fan shrouds and exit
areas
for all this hot air to leave the engine compartment.

Look at some of the specialty radiators that are available for tight
installations, you'll see that some are made to double back to lenghten the
coolant travel.

Many of the engines in todats cars are designed to run at temperatures of about
227 degrees.  But they are also running in well designed and engineered cooling
systems, so there is little deviation from this temp as the thermostat has a job
to do, rather than staying wide open all the time.

FWIW, Paul A