Re: Back to the Future

To: "Mike MacLean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Back to the Future
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:48:55 -0400
Take out your plugs
Get #1 cyl close to TDC on the compression stroke
Stick a dowel or something into the # 1 spark plug hole
Move the crank till the piston is felt to be at the top of it's
stroke, this takes a little bit of back and forth and intuition
(there are micrometer measuring devices for this to be done
accurately, but for now this is good enough to see if you are
close, and with a bit of ingenuity darn close)
Go below and most likely u will see the pulley notch at the first
pointer on the timing cover.

I then set the timing to book specs, make sure my plugs are the
right colour and then use the distrib micro adjuster to advance
(&retard) 2 degrees at a time (22 clicks) and drive to make
comparisons. My stock 948 will optimize on idle, mid range accel,
foot to the floor accel or a nice feeling steady state cruise
mode, but not all at the same timing setting.

Mike L
60A,67E,59Bug