RE: Turbulators

To: "'Brad Fornal'" <toyman@digitex.net>, David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: Turbulators
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:59:03 -0800
Cc: Steve Jones <s-jones@swbell.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
I will preface this by saying that I don't know if these devices work but
here are my thoughts as to the principle as to their operation.  It looks
like the turbulators may be designed to be a boundary layer control device.
By forcing the inlet flow to be turbulent, you get a more 'full' flow
profile and you also mix the flow better thus achieving a more even
distribution of fuel and air.  As mentioned in an earlier submittal there
will be drag-loss penalty to pay but this may be offset by an increase in
efficiency by the better mixed flow.  Another name for such devices are
vortex generators.  They are used extensively on aircraft to control the
flow over the wing.

Paul Bent

61 Frogeye (one of the few apparently!!!)
68 Triumph GT6