Re: Primers WAS:painting advice wanted

To: Chris King <cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: Primers WAS:painting advice wanted
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:19:38 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Chris:

I have had a bit of experience blending these two worlds.  I have used my spray
equipment to shoot house paint (on the house, only overspray on the car) with
some success.  The problem in
using a conventional siphon or gravity feed HVLP gun, the type you should lean
toward if you're going to paint cars, will probably not give the volume of
paint delivery that would be optimum
with house paint.  Using a one horsepower, twin cylinder oil lubricated
compressor delivering about 6.5 CFM at 40psi, I have been able to do it with a
Devilbiss JGA gun.  I have not used my
HVLP guns for this: too expensive to sacrifice: a Sharpe Platinum and a
Devilbiss Finishline.

One more efficient alternative I used was a Harbor Freight gun with a
pressurized 2qt remote cup.  That worked really well, and was good for a big
job.  I used latex and thinned slightly
with water.

I also used the JGA more recently to oil-prime cedar shakes before installing
them on my addition.  It's a messy sticky job, but far preferable to other
methods.

Guns like I'm describing for the house painting can usually be had from HF and
similar sources for between $25 and $100.  Just add that to the cost of the car
paint setup.

Jim