Re: Garage planning (long)

Subject: Re: Garage planning (long)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:55:29 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Alan,

Think about it this way. Drywall is "rock" and therefore resistant to fire and
at
certain thicknesses has an actual fire rating.

Fire code requires certain thicknesses of drywall under stairs and on ceilings
and walls of attached and basement garages to increase the time it would take
for
a fire to burn through the wall.

The thicker the drywall, the more time it takes.

Want to build a simple fireproof box for valuables? Use drywall in its
construction and it will have a certain resistance to fire.

Sooooooo, should you have a flash fire in your garage, a wood wall will ignite
while sheetrock will resist the fire for a period of time.

I've seen plenty of fires in my time as an insurance agent. Very nasty events,
even the minor ones. And they don't always start from flame. Many many fires are
electrical.

jay f