Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:24:35 -0600
This is one of my concours spridget related contemplations.  My particular
question probably has also been noticed by members of the non concours
spridget owners too.  So here goes:

     Why are concours people so afraid to answer questions and assist in the
correct restoration of other peoples cars?  To me it is almost like there is
a "resisting" of the thought of anybody else joining this "elite" group.
Does this stem from an "ego" or monetary value issue, than the true purpose
of a concours restoration, which in my opinion, is done to preserve the
"original" beauty of a particular marquee.
    By restoring an example of a marquee to original specifications, people
are allowed to see in an unaltered state, the inherent beauty and "classic"
design of automotive creations by "artists" like Donald Healey, Enzo
Ferrari, Tucker, Carroll Shelby, etc.....

     The above question has often perplexed me.  My restoration of "Iris"
from day one was dictated by a single aspect of her.  Iris was in such solid
condition and relatively unmolested that her soul cried out for a return to
"her" original beauty to allow people to glimpse the beauty of Donald
Healeys automotive art. Some of you may disagree (though, I seriously doubt
it), but the AN5 and the early big healeys are works of automotive art.
They bring smiles, enjoyment, recollections of previous automotive memories
lives, to all who view them.  So why would the concours community not
welcome and support the addition of more examples of "original" art?  To
clarify, I am not talking about a refusal to judge and certify  "concours"
level cars by the judging committee, rather I am talking about the lack of
sharing of knowledge, resources, etc... by the "owners" of previously judged
cars.   MOST IMPORTANTLY. I want to make sure that this question is not
directed at any particular person or persons, but rather is a broadly
directed examination.
    The non-original community seems to be more in the "spirit" of
preserving these works of  "art" than members who are supposedly striving to
retain and preserve "original" cars for the enjoyment of people who are less
fortunate to own one of these examples of automotive history.  Or, is this
not about preserving examples of automotive history, but is instead about
egos of "I have one and others do not".  Just wondering, because if so, it
is a sad commentary and disgrace to the true dreams of Donald Healey and
other automotive "artists" like him.

Flame suit on and awaiting responses

Leo