Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)

To: "Leo Speichinger" <60bugeye@ev1.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:19:19 -0800
Leo,

I don't really know the answer to your question, and I'm not really sure
what is the origin of your question. But here's what I would guess a couple
reason's might be. While I genuinely appreciate an original or originally
restored car, it's not something I have ever pursued doing. Besides, once
you've seen one perfectly restored car, you've pretty much seen them all.

First of all, I think there are probably far less "concours people" on the
list than just plain entusiasts. Condition, appearance and originality are
probably of the least concern to many, especially on this list. Unless you
have a concours guide or a great memory for all the little details of the
original car you owned 30 or 40 years ago, it really hard to say what color
something was painted or what the top of the bolt was labeled. Besides,
most of us probably never paid that much attention back then (or even now).
Afterall, Sprigets were always promoted as the least expensive sports cars.

Possibly there is some reluctance to give details for fear they might be
wrong or just not absolutely sure they know the right answer. Or maybe they
just feel that their hard earned knowledge gives them the edge for winning
their next competition and don't want to give the "secrets" away. I know a
couple people that know many if not all of the minutia, but it took a lot
of reading and research to gain it. They may feel you should do as much
hard work to gain the knowledge as they did. I usually get the feeling that
concours people tend to keep that all close to the vest. I'm not sure you
can count on "preserve the "original" beauty of a particular marquee" to be
the sole motivation, if you get my meaning.

Just some WAGs

P.S. For anyone who hasn't seen "Iris", Leo has done a wonderful job of
restoring her to her natural beauty.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -