Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)

Subject: Re: Contemplations for a weekend (spridget related)
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 12:35:18 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Leo,

I'll answer that question, at least as it relates to me personally.

Even though I have a great appreciation for modified and non-original cars,
Originality is my primary interest. I'm fascinated by original, unrestored cars
and have a great respect for extensive and accurate concours restorations.

Many years ago I was deeply involved in the hobby. I was one of the early Sprite
owners to do a ground up restoration on a Bugeye and along with several others,
expended great effort to research originality and collect hard-to-find detail
parts, and documentation.

In the Eighties I owned a 1960 Bugeye that was a ground up restoration and which
won many Regional and National awards at Healey events. I also owned one of the
very original Bugeyes, a 1961 Leaf Green car that I purchased from the original
owner with only 24,000 miles on it. It came with the original Dunlop Gold Seal
tires, the original top, interior, floor mats (which the owner kept covered by
blankets, etc, etc, etc. Take my word for it, It was (and still is) a drop-dead
original car and is now owned by a friend. I also owned a 1972 Midget
(Aqua-original and rare) on which I also completed a ground-up restoration.

During that same time period, I was very involved with Concours judging. I
thought through that activity I was helping other owners and the hobby in
general
to preserve original cars. How naive I was.

You see, I failed to understand the politics of the Austin-Healey enthusiast
organizations. If anyone thinks that all of the people in a position of
authority
in the clubs are there to unselfishly contribute, you have a lot to learn.

Unknowingly, I crossed two people in influential positions of one of the clubs
who proceeded to not only privately slander me but also were in a position to
allow a slanderous letter be printed in the club publication.

None of these people knew "jack" about concours, but they took it upon
themselves
to get involved with an issue involving disgruntled concours entrants.
Disgruntled concours entrants? Who ever heard of disgruntled concours entrants?
:-) Oh, by the way, one of them was his son. I guess points shouldn't have been
deducted for the wiring harness for the dash that was dangling/laying on the
floor and I guess we were supposed to judge the parts that weren't installed but
that he showed us in the cardboard box. Hard to believe, but true.

And lest I not forget the entrant whose otherwise beautiful Iris Blue Bugeye
sported a red interior (?) and MkIII gauges and other Mk III parts. "They were
on
the car when I bought it." This owner literally yelled at me with his finger in
my face in the lobby of the hotel for what seemed like an eternity.

Soooooooooooo. I lost interest. Eventually sold all three cars and bought me a
Lotus 7. If this was what I was going to get from the Healey concours community
and their club hitmen who were there only for the prestige of their positions, I
didn't need that distraction to enjoy the hobby.

So what used to be in my head, is now kinda fuzzy. So I can't really readily
respond to questions without referring to documentation. So that is one reason
why I don't always respond.

Another reason, is that I now choose to enjoy the concours aspect of the hobby
personally and privately. I don't appreciate the people that brand anyone
interested in originality or concours as snobs and the other people that think
that a concours restoration is something simple and by just expending the effort
means a high score at an event. The process is about learning about how the cars
left the factory and preserving that information; it isn't about just coming
home
with a prize.

I've heard enough complaints and taken enough crap from entrants and others,
after volunteering for entire days at Healey events that I ever care to hear
again. It's just not enjoyable and not worth it. After attending a National
Healey event at which the head judge literally begged me to judge, I have
steadfastly refused to participate in judging and actually avoided another
Healey
event a couple of years ago when the head judge began putting similar pressure
on
me. I will never, ever judge at an even again. Never!

I'm not the brightest light in this hobby and don't know very much about
diagnosing problems compared to Frank, Charles, and many others, but I know how
to build a car and I know how to build a gold level car. Anyone who has seen my
cars, past and present, will attest to that.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :-)  I enjoy the hell out of my
Spridgets and soon (hopefully) will be enjoying my Innocenti's as well.

Jay Fishbein
Long-winded from Innocenti Central
Wallingford, CT