Re: NO LBC: Someone was looking for a new PC....

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: NO LBC: Someone was looking for a new PC....
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 12:13:57 -0500
Good message and I don't disagree with you entirely, but Dell tech support does
generally suck and here's the best example of it.

After about the 6th call to Dell tech support regarding what was causing my hard
drive to endlessly spin and thus temporarily causing the machine to lock up, I
was diverted to a lovely woman from god knows where, Hong Kong? Don't really
know.

She said they had a fix for noisy hard drives. I told her the problem was not
noise but the machine locking up for anywhere from 1-5 minutes. To make a very
long story short, we never got beyond her assumption that I was trying to quiet
the operation of my hard drive, despite me telling her plainly and clearly that
is not the problem, etc. etc. etc. When it was all said and done, she emailed me
a file to reduce the sound of hard drives.

I only have experience with Dell, and therefore feel comfortable saying that
Dell
must hire "tech" support people who have no experience whatsoever with computers
and don't train them to do anything but follow a fault diagnosis program on
their
computer or on their website. 1 out of 10 calls may result in contact with
someone with experience, but in my experience that is the exception and not the
rule.

HP is a close second. I was on the phone with their tech support for 2+ hours
one
night. That made me reluctant to ever call them again.

One more little tidbit about Dell. Don't buy peripherals from them and expect
support because they don't support scanners or printers after something like 30
or 90 days. In the parlance of the day, that doesn't "suck", that is clearly and
plainly poor business practice.

jay fishbein