RE: Re[2]: Speed bleedin'

To: "'PilotRob@webtv.net'" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Speed bleedin'
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:25:48 -0600
To all,

Got my carbs swapped out, now I have the single HS-4 with the float bowl aft
and my stalling on braking problem is solved.  You guys were right, using
the single carb with the float bowl forward was the problem.  I haven't
noticed any "new" problems cropping up, so this may be the long term
solution!

I also had a problem with the idle dropping like a rock when sitting in
traffic, probably due to hot air coming off the header.  Since my old heat
shield was a cobbled together thing made up of pieces of the old dual carb
heat shield, I decided it was time for a new shield.  Looking around for
suitable metal, I picked up an aluminum griddle for use on dual burner camp
stoves at Walmart.  Yeah, I know, being pretty cheap, but for $12, its a
nice piece of aluminum, designed for high heat applications, that happens to
be just the right size.  I cut off the two lower corners, cut the holes for
the carb intake and bolt holes, bent the bottom up a bit to direct hot air
away from the intake, and it looks pretty good too.  I've only had it on the
road a day since I put it all back together, but so far the idle isn't
dropping like it used to.  It's been in the 80's yesterday and today, but
once it gets hotter, I'll probably go with increased cold air flow to the
carb as Capn' Rob suggested.

One question - what do you recommend for lubing the carb throttle shaft?
I'm using a new in box HS4, Vizard modified somewhat, that I bought 8 years
ago for a new defunt MGB.  I figure I should lube it with something, but I
don't want to spray something on it and then two months from now end up with
a gooey mess.  Suggestions?

Coastie Bob
'74 Midget