Re: 3.7.1 Differential questions.

To: BWesterley@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 3.7.1 Differential questions.
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 01:18:58 -0800
Brandon,,

''78-'79 Midgets definately came with 3.7's. most find that a 3.7 is a bit
much with the Datsun 5 speed. It would be great on the highway, but low end
performance is not so great and a 3.9 is a better combo. Depends on what
you want. I have a 3.9 with my Datsun 5 speed on 175-70 tires and at 65MPH
I am at about 3100-3200RPM in 5th gear which feels about right to me. I
think you might feel that the RPMs with a 3.7 would be too low to get much
acceleration even at speed and any grades would probably require
downshifting to at least 4th anyway.

BTW, if you want to check diff ratio, there are two numbers stamped on the
top of the diff on a boss near the mounting flange. A 3.9 is marked 10/39,
a 3.7 is marked 11/41, and a 4.22 is marked 9/38.

Gerard

Gerard