Re: American Racing Equipment Silverstones

To: "Mike Maclean" <macleans@earthlink.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: American Racing Equipment Silverstones
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:09:08 -0800
> I have locate THREE Minilite lookalike wheels made by American Racing
> Equipment.  They are the Silverstone model with 4.5x13 stamped on them.
> They are the 4 bolt pattern and came off a Sprite.  They also have a
> raised center hub for a knock off hub just for looks, but they are bolt
> on.  1/4 neg offset is also stamped on them.  What I am leading to is,
> does anyone have ONE of these laying around they would like  to sell?
> Three don't do me much good.
> Mike MacLean-60 Sprite

Mike,
Some comments about Silverstones:

1. There are aluminum Silverstones and magnesium Silverstones.  As pointed
out by Mr. Thompson, the magnesium ones to corrode quick easily around the
beads and leak.  If used with tubeless tires, you also need to coat the
inside of the rim with some sort of flexible paint sealer to avoid having
them go flat over the space of a few days.  The aluminum ones are much
easier to deal with than the real mag ones; they corrode much less easily
and are much less porous.

2.  There are a variety of offsets and widths for 13" Silverstones.  If you
are interested in those particular wheels, you might consider locating a
pair of 13x5"s for the rear.

3. They also come with and without the knockoff hub threads.  Since I
believe ARE did the threaded version later, I would guess that the ones
you're looking at are aluminum with a mfg date of the late 60's or early
70's.  Early 60's wheels had no stamp or cast dimension marks.

Regards,

Myles Winbigler
(4 sets of Silverstones representing 5 configurations of the wheel)