Timing Chain General Question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing Chain General Question
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 05:49:38 -0800 (PST)
Greetings all!

I'd been told the rattle on my 948 was a timing chain
noise, so I decided to have a look. As I did a bit of
research, I determined that the upgrade to a duplex
chain/gears was the way to go so that I wouldn't have
to do this on an annual basis!

I'll attempt to keep this short by saying that I
obtained a "good used" set of gears and chain from a
reliable friend. I was surprised when I test-fit it
that the chain didn't seem any tighter than the single
row which rattled...

When I attempted to re-fit the single row gears with a
NEW single row chain, I could barely even get the
chain to wrap around the cam sprocket - seems that if
I attempt to install that one, it would be VERY
tight...

Here's the question:

How much play should there be in the duplex chain when
it's properly installed with the gears?

Any tips appreciated!

Cheers,
John Donohoe