Brake adjuster backplate thread stripped !

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[BC8B87C0:01C1DBBC] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g349eRL10820
Subject: Brake adjuster backplate thread stripped !
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 11:41:09 +0200 net>
Hi,

Last night I set out to adjust the rear drum brakes on my 71 Sprite.

The offside one adjusted easily but the nearside one was not so cooperative.

The nearside drumbrake adjuster would not engage in its captive thread even
with pressure applied to the adjuster.

I removed the drums & shoes, removed & checked the adjuster.  The adjuster
thread looks OK & it will  "bite" into the captive thread when no shoes are in
place but ony when it is pushed a fair distance into the captive thread.  (This
distance is too great for it to work with the brakes assembled.)

I concluded that thread of the captive thread on the backplate must be stripped
which is probably why the previous owner gave up on the brakes.

This looks nasty because the thread can't be removed and the backplate assembly
is not listed in the Moss catalogue.

Any ideas for a cheap and safe fix - it looks like an additional nut may be
fitted into the backplate behind the existing thread.

Has anyone done this before? Is it a common problem?

Thanks

Louis Mehr
Manchester
UK