Re: No LBC content but Van Question!-HELP!

To: breeanna1012000@yahoo.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No LBC content but Van Question!-HELP!
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 10:38:51 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/02 9:52:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
breeanna1012000@yahoo.com writes:

> I need help for a friend of mine with a l991
> Plymouth Voyager van that died on her. What I
> would like to know is does a "fuel injection
> system" hav an automatic choke? And would that
> cause the motor to die out, if it was stuck!

- - - - - - - - - - -

The choke is controlled by the computer.  When the temp sensor says the
engine is cold, the computer richens the mixture to the fuel injection.  I
doubt that is the problem.

If the engine just died and will not start, it could be the ignition module
and not fuel related at all.  No spark, no engine running!  (BTDT!)

The problem is compounded by all the sensors, making it nearly impossible for
a home mechanic to work on a modern car.  You can buy an engine analyzer that
will tell you what the sensors are telling the computer, but they are
expensive.

Pick up a Chiltons manual on the van.  There is usually a way to connect a
VOM (Volt-Ohm Meter) to the engine and read the diagnostics by counting
voltage spikes.  You may even be able to read the diagnostics by turning the
ignition on and off three times, then leaving it in the on position.  Watch
the engine light on the dash and count the blinks.  You need the manual to
tell you what the blinks mean.  (My '87 Aires did this.)

Good luck,

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget