Re: Slow cranking

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Slow cranking
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:34:40 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/02 8:27:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w.gilroy@verizon.net writes:

> My car is cranking very very slowly.  It will crank fine if I use a battery
> charger and set it to "200 amp start".  The battery is a 2 year old
> PEP Boy unit.  The alternator is putting out 13 volts @ 1500 RPM.  If
> I charge the battery it might get a bit better but it does not last. I
> am thinking the battery is toast.  Is the alternator putting out
> enough voltage?  I figure the starter is fine since it cranks fine
> with the battery charger attached.   What is the consensus?

- - - - - - - - - - -

Is the engine properly grounded to the frame?  A bad ground can cause this
problem.  Easy to check...use a jumper cable to ground the block to the
battery ground post.  (Neg. in your car.)  It the problem goes away, replace
or tighten your ground strap, located in the right front, underneath the
engine.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget