RE: changeover to RX7

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: changeover to RX7
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 06:28:33 -0700
I assume you are talking about the first generation RX7 (1979 to 1985)...
and that you know the 1984 and 1985 GSL SE have a 14" wheel and bigger
brakes than the other first generation Mazdas. If that's what you want and
you are going 14" all around, fine.... but if you prefer a 13" wheel with
the discs and limited slip diff, you'll have to find an axle from a GSL. I
have seen several on cars with 95,000 to 100,000 miles at scrap yard around
here- price is usually $150 complete (axle housing, diff, brakes).

By the way, the 1984-5 cars all had bigger bearings than the previous years,
but it really does not matter much- My racing RX7 has the "small" bearings
(the mechanicals are from a 1983, fitted to a 1985 shell)... And the smaller
brakes of the GSL will definitely be OK for the Sprite, a much lighter car
than the RX. In fact, I wonder if you will get too much breaking in the
rear, even with the "small" brakes... or what brakes you are going to use in
the front?

Jacques Le clainche
SCCA 1985 SRX7 #44, San Diego region
VARA 1959 FP Bugeye #4