seals double bearing/mr Z

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: seals double bearing/mr Z
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:21:32 -0400
Mr z
  RCCSA Lena called me. there seems to be some confusion about rear double
lip seals VS single lip.
after trying both, we finally were able to get the double lip to work. the
single might also, but we had better luck with the other.
however we altered it.
the seal has a long thin "spring" around the back inside of the seal that
retains pressure on whatever its sealing.
well enough, that spring tension and length was designed for its tension and
length for various reasons.
However, what we do is to remove that spring. find where it connects and
unscrew it from itself. , it the ends up looking like a micro plumbing
snake. clip the open/large end by about 1/8 "  + or - with a very sharp set
of small sidecutters. rescrew it together. replace it back into its grove.
the shorter (now smaller dia.) spring will exert a bit more tension and give
a better sealing surface for our old sprites.
make shure you lightly grease where the lip meets up with the short speedie
sleeve Lena quoted to you.
works for us.. and we treid about everything. yes use the sealed bearing and
pack the other too. also make shure your diff vent is clear.  If you would
rather use the single lip that may be fine too. choice is yours.
R Kansa
southwind racing