Re: Under the bonnet heat; I have to much

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Under the bonnet heat; I have to much
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:27:51 -0700
One big diffedrence is that JetHot coating goes on the inside of the
manifold and keeps the heat in the exhaust gas and out of the metal on the
other side of the coating.  Header wrap keeps the heat inside the manifold
and it will cause the manifold to get MUCH hotter than it gets in its normal
unwrapped state.
I briefly tried header wrap on the custom welded manifold that joins the
turbo to the head.  Bad idea.  The heat was so much higher that it caused
expansion of the manifold sufficient to warp it.  Much work was required to
close up the broken welds and re-flatten the head-face of the manifold.
After removing the wrap, no more problems with manifold warpage.  I now use
small patches of header wrap where the manifold/turbo/outlet pipe comes near
anything I don't want to cook.  Also, I turned my thinking around and
wrapped the intake manifold with the header wrap to keep the heat OUT of the
intake side of the manifold.  This has worked well.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye
'59 Morris Traveller (Winifred)