Re: Breaking in a rebuilt motor...

To: "Thompson, Michael (CCI-Atlanta)" <Michael.Thompson@cox.com>
Subject: Re: Breaking in a rebuilt motor...
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 19:59:13 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
"Thompson, Michael (CCI-Atlanta)" wrote:

>  Let's have some details on things that I will need to do to properly > break
>this motor in.  :-)

Others will have other ideas but I have had the best luck with a 20
minute break in.

Crank it over till you see oil pressure coming up, hook up the ignition
and fire it up. Let it warm up.
Tach it up to 1500 and hold it there a minute or so, tach it up to 2500
with a couple of short revs to 4500. Tach it up to 3500 and hold it for
another minute or 2 with a couple of short revs to 5k.
Let it idle back down to normal, check for leaks.
Change the oil and filter.
this will clean out anything in the engine (new metal shavings and such)
The high rpm from initial start up will reduce any ridge build up on the
cylinder walls. If anything is going to go wrong, it will happen right
off the bat.
Drive it like you normally would after that first oil change. Retorque
the head and adjust the valves at 500 miles, change the oil again at
this time.

Well that's how I do it.

--
Frank Clarici