Re: Gearbox Oil Additive

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gearbox Oil Additive
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:31:05 -0400
Red,

You're fine with the 20W50 GTX. Could even use their all-synthetic.
But, I would not use _any_ additives. It sounds like you have a
synchromesh that is going out. Not to be a hard*ss, but welcome to
the club. As a departed member once wrote, no amount of lube is going
to replace metal.

If the only problem is loss of synchro, you can 1) get good at
shifting without a synchro (a time-honored tradition among spridget
drivers), 2) do as Chuck suggests and fix the synchro (and do a
complete tranny rebuild while you're at it, or 3) use this as an
excuse to install a Datsun 5-speed conversion (which may or may not
need new synchros... :) ).

Jeff