Re: Wheel Wobble

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Wobble
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:08:33 -0700
Hi Peter,

The amount of torque applied with the spacer in place that would increase the
strength of the spindle would far exceed the capabilities of the DIY tools and
abilities, judging from what I have read.  While I agree that there are some
folks who have come up with convincing arguments about using the spacer, and
increasing the load area and strength of the spindle, I fear that it's based
on incorrect data or the amount of increase is negligible.

>From my prior experience with spacers in place, I've found the frequency of
locking up the bearing, (spacer too short) with the high torque value on the
adjusting nut is about equal to the inability to get rid of bearing play,
(spacer too long).  In the latter case it involved disassembly, removal of a
bearing and removal of the spacer to get it set up correctly.  In the former,
just adjusting it in the conventional way worked fine, the spacer just went
along for the ride.

As for the "wobble" that started all this, I don't get a really good sense of
what it is.  Don't know if it's with new bearing, shot bearings, bent wheel,
wire or steel wheel, broken tire belt, wheel assembly out of balance
dynamically or what it is.  Haven't gotten much feedback on clarifying that
yet, but a good exchange on the virtues of the spacer has cropped up!.

Seems to me that the last time this thread went around, it generated about as
much controvery as this time!!  LOL

Paul A