Re: Looking at a '78 -- what to know?

To: Kevin Shertz <kshertz@bellatlantic.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Looking at a '78 -- what to know?
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:19:21 -0700
Welcome Kevin,

I have two words for you... oil pressure. If the engine has more than
50,000 to 60,000 miles on it, I would be very cautious about engine
condition and how it was maintined. A rule of thumb on oil pressure is 10
PSI per 1000 RPM. Make sure you drive the car until the engine is well
warmed up and see where the oil pressure is at idle. Also check the oil for
additives like STP to help increase oil pressure. 1500 to not have the oil
pressure reading you're used to seeing on 1275's, (even well worn 1275's).

Another problem is they have a tendency to drop thrust washers. One way to
check if there is excessive wear is to use a large screwdriver or prybar to
make sure the crank is all the way towards the transmission. Have someone
depress the clutch and see if you can detect and forward movement from the
clutch pressure. If you can, you've got problems. There are many other
issues that go beyond the "Ford vs Chevy" or "Mac vs PC" mentality, but
these are a couple that I donlt think anyone will dispute with me.

Good luck.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -