Re: a photo of my car on ebay

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: a photo of my car on ebay
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:23:52 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/02 2:36:00 PM, w_burrell@yahoo.com writes:

<< --- Mark Perry <markdp@pacbell.net> wrote:
> I dont know the legals as to what is public or
> private domain. BUT I am
> pretty sure there is a problem with showing the
> licence plate numbers.... Also as to what is
> and isnt public domain
> I think there is a difference between copying it for
> private use and
> making a profit off it. ... >>

The Federal Copyright laws as amended in the 1970's made "works of art"
copyrighted at the time of creation, removing the need to go through formal
copyright procedures before an item was copywritten.  This change was quite
explicit in that items were copyrighted when pen was taken to paper, brush to
canvas, and the moment the shutter was pressed in photography.  These changes
also applied to software.  At the time I was doing professional photography
and the change in the laws were very helpful and created some problems.  In
particular, if you had lost the film of your family photos you could not get
them copied because it was considered a copyright infrigement without the
original film.  I think some changes have been made for this latter item
since then, but it is still a problem.

The internet has presented new problems and questions of which I am not
current.  A good copyright lawyer should be able to answer this and they used
to be willing to give you 15-30 minutes of time at no charge or minimal
charge.

Bob

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise)