summer bummer

To: "Spidgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: summer bummer
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 08:28:40 -0400
Having just completed Paul A.'s 5 speed conversion, I filled the radiator with
coolant and while idling the engine was adding more coolant when LOTS of white
smoke started blowing out the exhaust.  I am guessing I overheated and smoked
the head gasket.  I am hoping that I did not overheat and smoke the head.  Now
the questions:

What head gasket to use?  Are the copper ones any better?
While the head is off, I'll take it to the shop.  Should unleaded seats be put
in ?
The engine has always burned a fair amount of oil, so I'm thinking I'll
replace the rings too.  How does one tell if rings are         oversized?

And most important:  What did I do wrong???    Would reversing the lines going
to the heater have done this?

Geoff Branch
Nothing runs and it's summer.