Re: summer bummer

To: "Geoff Branch" <gjbranch@attbi.com>, "Spidgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: summer bummer
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:04:42 -0700
Geoff,

I don't know how you could have overheated the engine with it idling and
adding more coolant unless maybe your themostat stuck closed. Did you
inspect the oil for signs of coolant and vice versa? Are you sure this
isn't oil smoke?

You can tell if rings are oversize by the piston tops. The top will be
labeled with a number like .020 or .040, etc. to indicate bore oversize.
You'll need to clean the top of the pistons to see it though. I'm
personally not of the opinion that you can get away with new rings in an
old oil burning A-series engine though. The bores usually wear considerably
by the time you're burning oil and the clyinders will be either
out-of-round or tapered or both. Installing new rings without removing the
ridge at the top of the cylinder can cause the rings to break also.

Reversing the heater lines would not cause the problem.

Gerard