Oil Pressure / Bearings

To: Miget sprit group at Yahoo <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pressure / Bearings
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:48:46 -0700 (PDT)
Report, and questions

OK, most of you recall my oil pressur problems on Bobbie MG.  I ordered and
recieved a new spring (wrong one) and ball to replace the pressure relief
valve.  I used the old spring with out washers, and the new ball.  Between
three gagues, the original Smiths, the Korean cheepo and a Sun Pro gague I got
similar bad news.  At first it looked promising when I hooked up the borrowed
Sun Pro.  It seemed that I had 10 to 12 lbs at hot idle, about 180degrees and
just  under 1000 rpm.  I took her out for a spin and had 40 to 50 lbs with the
engine above 3000 rpm, sounded good, ran strong.  After the engine got good and
hot approx 190 to 200, (180 thermostat) pressure at idle was at ZERO.  Parked
her in the garage.  With rhe engine in the car I plan on replacing the big end
rod bearings. And cleaning up the sump screen and pickup tube.

Now the questions

Is it necessary to pull the head to replace just the rod bearings ?

What else can I check and or replace with the engine in the car that may help
improve the low OP situation?

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions both on and off the list.

Lon and Bobbie MG (in sick bay for now)