Re: Oil Pressure / Bearings

To: Red Midget <redmidget72@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure / Bearings
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 23:44:42 -0400
Cc: spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Lon, I'm in mid rod bearing replacement right now. The Bugeye is easy,
there's nothing under or near the oil pan to prevent removal, not so
sure on your car. No need to pull the head. Once the pan was off, it was
simple to rotate the crank and loosen the rod bolts. (Hint be sure to
arrange the rod and wrench so you are pulling or pushing fore and aft
and the crank won't move, either that or put a wood block between the
block and crank to hold it). The piston will push up in the cylinder
with ease. Remove the plugs and it gets real easy. Only need to move a
few inches. The bearings can be a little sticky, I poped them out with a
little presssure from a screwdriver. Be sure to look at the back of the
bearing to see if they are standard or under size, they should be
stamped and or measure the crank. I was replacing the thrust washers
when all this started. Check the crank for front to back movement and
replace yours if there is any movement (may not hurt to just do it while
you're there). You can drop the main caps and check them too. You might
be able to lower the crank a little to allow the bearings to be replaced
if you're carefull. (did it on a Chevy V8, but not an LBC) If I had the
parts in hand, this whole deal could have been done in a few hours.

Good Luck
Dave & Bobbie Carpenter
Pittsburgh, PA
60 3000 "Healey Bits" (in more pieces than they built it from)
60 Bugeye "Little Bits" click the link below for pictures
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2z49v/bugeye.htm
Pictures from Pittsburgh Vintage Gran Prix
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2z49v/pvgp.htm