Re: No start x2

To: "Nory" <nory@buffnet.net>, Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No start x2
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:05:49 -0400
Nory -

On #1 The crane ignition would make no difference to the starter, nor
should the fuel pump, unless you've got it wired in so that it takes
power from the lead for the solenoid.

I hesitate to ask, but you didn't mention it: Did you charge the
battery?

On #2 I'd check that the points terminal is assemblesd correctly
(spacers and washers in the correct order.  Get it wrong and the car
acts like the points never open (no spark).

Chris K.

> I have only one day a week to work on my cars, so here are this weeks
> puzzles...
>
> Both Midgets will not start.  They ran about a year ago, but I must
admit I
> didn't run them now and then to keep them in good operating condition
> (DCO!).  I've been away from working on the cars for so long, that I
don't
> seem to have any idea what I'm doing anymore!  Help!  I've been
trying for
> the last month to get them to go, but they won't.  Here's where we
are so
> far---
>
> Car #1 is a 1972 Midget with Crane electronic ignition.  Battery is
new, and
> replacing the fuel pump (with a Facet pump) got fuel going to the
carb.  The
> problem is, the ignition won't turn the starter.  The starter has
been bench
> tested, and it's good.  The solenoid is good.  I think the ignition
switch
> is good, because it's getting juice to the solenoid when it's on.
I've
> already replaced a very rotted ground strap underneath, but that
didn't make
> a difference.  The funny thing is, with the bad fuel pump in, at
least the
> starter was turning the engine... Now that it has fuel, the starter
won't
> turn.  Should I trash this Facet fuel pump and put in an SU?  Or is
that
> just a coincidence, and I have some other problem?  I don't know
anything
> about the Crane ignition -  Might that have something to do with it?
One