Re: Wire wheels x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: jburruso@earthlink.net, spridgets-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheels x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:11:15 EDT
I did this conversion about 20 yrs ago on my Bugeye with the help of racer
Stan Huntley of FASPEC. His advice was to use the later (stronger) spridget
wire wheel axles from the 1275 cars. Knock out the welch plugs inside the
hubs (air chisel works good) and press the axle out to the length of the disc
wheel axle.  About 5/8" if I recall.  Install new welch plugs or small rubber
balls to keep the diff fluid from leaking out.  I've driven about 20,000
miles since then with no problems, including autox.  Someone asked why bother
pressing out the axles which shortens the amount of axle left in the hub.  My
guess is the axle is more likely to shear inside the diff rather than at the
hub.  Don't know if Stan used this technique on his race sprite or not.  Just
my experience, if your wheel falls off, don't blame me!

Rick