serial #'s

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com
Subject: serial #'s
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 03:11:13 EDT
When I come across "parts cars" or rusted out hulks I usually try to take
notes and check Horler's book on Sprites/Midgets. What I have seen in the
past is data plates not matching up with obvious mis matches. Engine serial
number plates, I understand, were aluminum and I suppose could have been
melted off during hot tanking but what about body serial numbers? It is so
easy to screw on a different data plate, I wonder how many cars are really
what they appear to be? There is another number stamped into the sheet metal
on the right hand side above the passenger's knees, viewed from the engine
compartment (left hand drive) which is never recorded and sometimes hard to
see. What I am asking the list to do is post this number of a car that you
ever had stolen. Even if it was 40 years ago. It would be obvious if this
number were altered. I don't want to buy a car that was ever stolen. I have
seen Bugeyes titled AN6xxxxx for instance. I can understand the year being
off, but Bugeyes were Han5xxxx,right?
Anyone have any thoughts on this?   Bob C