Re: Next question: SU Adjustment

To: Gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Next question: SU Adjustment
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:15:49 -0800
Cc: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>, William West <livinginthepast@mindspring.com>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Gerard wrote:

> >Back off throttle IDLE screws with
> >"interconnect" loosened clear of their
> >carb. "platforms".
>
> Sorry Bob,
> The problems with these carbs are not balance, but probably unequal spring
> pressure. These are the ones I was struggling with a few months ago. I
> finalyy got it to run nearly right,

That was what I found with Bill Loeb's carbs.  One correct spring, the other
unidentified.  It calls for springs that are 2 1/2 Oz. at 2 5/8" inch as I
recall.  Found one in a used carb at hand.  However, on close inspection with a
loupe, found that one needle was worn from dragging on the jet.  So the new
spring was a temp. fix.  Worked a lot better, but these carbs are bound for a
complete rebuild soon, throttle shafts included.

Paul A