Re: Good Grief

To: mjb@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good Grief
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:09:52 EST
In a message dated 12/12/02 11:21:11 PM, mjb@autox.team.net writes:

<< I'm willing to provide the moderated list for the same reasons I provide
the many other services hosted from here, a commitment to provide means
of spreading "the British Car Experience" on the net.  Why do you feel that
providing an alternate venue for Spridgets discussion is undermining that
commitment? >>

First, let me make it clear that I thought I had pulled my response to your
e-mail out of the stream of things to go out.  Obviously I didn't.  I might
have felt different had I slept on it, or at least stated it a little more
nicely.  I had also seen replies to a post that I had sent several hours
before but which did not show up in my mailbox until 30 minutes after  I sent
a follow up.  Undoubtedly a computer glitch.

Frankly Mark, the first thing you can do to try to communicate with me is to
quit ending every paragraph with a rhetorical question.  I have no argument
that you have done a great job with the unmodified list and are certainly
responsible in large part for it being as good as it is.  And I don't think
that there is a lister around who could do a better job.  On the other hand,
it appears from your actions that your plan is to eliminate the unmodified
list by making the moderated list much more informative--even editing the
unmod list for any goodies that the mod list didn't get the benefit of.  If
this is not true, why the disparaging references to fluff and off-topic
posts?  No, you haven't said anything directly, but there are indirect
references all over the place that you preferred the "no-fluff" Spridget list.

Since yesterday, I have seen a number of suggestions as to how we can make it
easier to sort out the off-topic material, reduce bandwidth usage, etc.  A
year ago I suggested that you give us some guidelines in this area.  I've
never seen a response until now, and now it's from listers.  Why didn't you
follow up on this a year ago?

To quote another lister:

I think we are just afraid that we will lose our happy little playground.

This is true, at least in my case.  I would hate to think that it was lost
because a few crybabies ran to majordomo because they didn't like what the
majority of us found to be acceptable and good.

Annice
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"