[Fwd: Re: Is an English Mile the same as...]

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Is an English Mile the same as...]
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 0:47:13 -0500
OK, I know I was never real good at science but wouldn't water at 620 F be
steam??? Consequently, how would it weight 10 pounds??? Wouldn't the volume be
a little bigger too?

Enquiring minds...

In 1824, the British abandoned these two gallons when they
adopted the British Imperial gallon, which they defined as the volume of 10
pounds of water, at a temperature of 620F, which, by calculation, is
equivalent to 277.42 cubic inches. At the same time, they redefined the
bushel as 8 gallons.

I guess it made sense to someone after they had emptied enough wine gallons OR
ale gallons ...

David Lieb