Re: On British Car Magazine

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: On British Car Magazine
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:31:32 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi,

I have to admit, the idea of BCM merging with another magazine bothered me at
first, and like many people, I sent Gary a message telling him that I felt a
bit betrayed by the decision.  He then explained to me about his decision, and
it did make very good sense to me.  Especially if I were in his shoes.

First: (these are my words) Gary and Genie have taken a good magazine and
turned it into a top-notch, first class publication.  If it weren't for their
efforts, we might be reading about Little League baseball, British bicycles,
train sets, cookware, or who knows what.  Let us all be thankful for the
wonderful magazine issue's they've provided for us over the years.

Second: If it weren't for the quality of their magazine, who would be
interested in it if they decided to get out of the business and pass it on to
someone else?  Maybe a British kit-car club?  Maybe a single marque club?  Who
knows?

Third: Gary is not leaving the magazine.  The quality of the material will
live on......for now anyway.  The pages of the magazine will continue to be
filled with quality British car material as always.

Fourth: Okay, so you're not interested in other marques.  So what!  You will
now have the opportunity to learn from a broad range of car enthusiasts.  I
can't tell you how many great ideas I have come across by snooping through
magazines that cater to American, German, Italian, Swedish, or even Japanese
cars.  There are a lot of great ideas that we don't necessarily learn about by
hanging out in our sheltered neighborhoods.

Fifth:  Comparisons!  Yes, comparisons!  There are other cars from the same
period of time that competed with our beloved British cars.  If you've ever
read any old magazines like Sportscar Illustrated, you've read comparisons
with these other vehicles.  We will have the opportunity to read some current
comparisons of British cars "and" about other marques that competed with them
in their day.  Are you afraid of something??

Sixth:  How about attracting some of the younger readers at Barnes & Nobles or
Borders who might pick up the magazine to read about a Miata, and then realize
there are some other really cool cars out there that are fun to play with?

Seventh: I've spent a lot of time reading both magazines, and they're both
great reads.  Okay, now they've merged.

Eighth: As our hobby (hobbyist) ages, we're going to have to face the fact
that some clubs and magazines are going to have to merge to survive.

Ninth: Support it.  Give it a chance.  You may end up eating your words......

Tenth: Hmm, I'll have to think about it.........