RE: stiffer rear springs?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: stiffer rear springs?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:35:09 -0800 (PST)
OK, I need to do better research (needed to find Peter May and the Power Tuning
book). Thanks to those replying with their experiences.
If you lower the car and don't increase stiffness, you should expect to bottom
out more, assuming "spirited motoring." Are the lowered springs are stiffer
than stock, or has the stock setup been designed with excessive clearance? Or,
does the increased roll stiffness from the stiffer front springs (and the usual
beefier sway bar) effectively reduce the actual suspension travel in use? I
have speed bumps in my neighborhood, so the sway bars won't help with that...
The Winner's Circle lowered springs are the same rate as 1275 stock, acording
to Dave, who said that with better shocks and trimming the rubber snubber
bottoming should not be an issue. Moss had no numbers on spring rates, having
looked up all the references they had. The MGB lowered springs were "about 10
pounds" (sic) stiffer than stock. I have left a message with Peter May with the
same question.
 - GT / 73 Midget / Portland, OR
 John.Deikis@med.va.gov wrote: I bought rear springs from Moss UK that they
called their "competition"
springs. Lowered the rear about 1 1/2". Don't assume you necessarily need
stiffer rear springs, though. Another source of springs is Peter May
Engineering (do a Google search for them). They are in England but have a
selection of springs for Spridgets and it's not much hassle to get them from
the UK.
--JohnD