Re: SUV

To: <Dbcooper292@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SUV
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:30:15 -0600
Here's the deal as I see it (your mileage may vary)...

There are dumb people... and not so dumb people.

There are those that can mash a thumb with a hammer, and those that can make
a house.

There are those that can make noise, and those that can make music.

An SUV is just another tool, that when properly used, achieves the desired
results.

The danger comes in when some people want to legislate or resrict what other
folks can drive. Are there suburban mommies that drive behemoth SUVs that
only manage to catch the occasional shopping cart with their bull bars? Sure
there are. But, drive anywhere in the great plains in the winter, and tell
me whether 4 wheel drive is a status symbol, or, in fact, some sense of
insurance against deadly storms? Ever been on I 80 when a storm comes up,
and you're 20 or 30 miles from the next exit?

I've had 4 wheel drive vehicles... mostly LandCruisers, for 25 years. Of the
300 or so + people I've pulled or winched out of ditches (and never charged
them a dime) , less than 10 were other 4 wheel drive vehicles. The rest were
dipshits in some sort of 2 wheel drive car, (maybe "econo" boxes, maybe
not..). Should we legislate them to not drive during snow? Apparently they
need protection from their own bad decisions?

What about folks getting a bug up their ass about "old cars". Hell, the
particulate matter in the emissions of some of the old British stuff we
drive can be shovelled... what if they decide you can't own and drive that?
What if someone decides you can only drive vehicles with airbags? Think
there's gonna be a big aftermarket for fitting airbags to MGBs and
Spridgets?

People can get on their high horse about gas guzzling SUVs all they want...
but I've never seen an "environmentally friendly" econobox owner refuse a
pull when it was his dumbass in the ditch.

Selective restrictions of freedom based on some media friendly "cause" is a
very dangerous thing. Be careful what you wish for.

WST